Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Contentment

In one sense, we should be content with everything we have, but in another sense we should continually long for the perfection to come. Our contentment today would be void without an eternal perfection waiting. This life is far from perfect, and often painful. That pain should remind of us sin, and that Jesus came to die, to free us from our sin that we may worship him eternally. So should you be content in this life? Yes and no. Yes, knowing God will always be with you to help you press on to the end. Yes, that your sins have been paid for. Yes, that you can experience samples and foreshadows of the perfect state to come in this life now. But no, you should not think that nothing could make you happier. You should know there is a better life that has yet to arrive. Without the hope to come, today would be meaningless, purposeless.

In times of struggles, don’t lie to yourself and think you need to put on a face of joy to show others that you continually rejoice, but cry in pain, knowing that God’s perfection in you has not been made complete. Remember who God is, and his ultimate promise to rescue you from your own sin and the sin of this world. Find contentment in that promise, while keeping perspective that life is still full of pain and struggles.

Some think that you should always find perfect contentment in this life. I would then argue that their hope is not in the gospel, but in the world. In Philippians 4 when Paul talks about his “secret of contentment” in all things, I believe he has perspective of the day to come in which he completes the race. He is content in the fact that God will get him through whatever trials he wishes to bring him through, but then at death finally his salvation will be made complete.


There is no hope today, without an eternal hope to come.

2 comments:

  1. Cool blog. Sounds like to me that we should be content when we look at where we have come from and been through, where we are today, and ultimately God's sovereignty. Whereas, when we look ahead we should be seeking to grow and hoping for great things.

    Thanks for another great Emet (truth). I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, I agree we should be grateful for what God has brought us through and blessed us with. I often neglect to praise God for the common blessings of life. My point is I frequently lack true contentment because my focus is on being content in this life only, rather than longing for the day to come in which we are made perfect. So today, I should be content in what God has given me, but I should long more for the day of perfection to come. It sounds oxymoronic to say that I am content with all that I have, but I need something else even more. Typically, contentment is being satisfied with all that you have, and never needing anything else. We need and long for the ultimate perfection that is to come. Therefore, we should not be completely content with our imperfect state of being right now. However, we should be content that God is bringing us through this life according to his perfect plan and timing, and in that find contentment. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but the reality is, many Christians look forward to peace and contentment in this life more than in the life to come. I am often included in that. As Paul said, "To live is Christ, but to die is GAIN" Wow.

    ReplyDelete